Hertford County, North Carolina


Hertford County, North Carolina was form in 1759, directly below Southampton County, Virginia and was still a part of the Meherrin River area even though it was across the line into North Carolina.

John 2 Brewer (1700/1715-1780)

Written on unknown date
Proved 10 Jan 1780
Recorded in Southampton Co, Virginia

Wife - mentioned, but not named
Children listed - John, Reace, Jacob, Jesse, Pacience, Elizabeth, Ann, Frances, Hardy, and Henry
Property mentioned - feather beds, sheets, blankets, rugs, furniture, money, estate (land included?)

Southampton Co Will Book 3, 1772-1782, page 295
Library of Virginia in Richmond
Image Source - The Brantley Association ➚
In the Name of God Amen, I John Brewer of Hertford County and Province of North Carolina Planter being of Perfect mind & Memory but knowing the uncertainty of life think it necessary to make some Disposition of what it pleas'd the Almighty to bless me with, In the first place I recommend my soul to God & my Body to the Earth to be Decently Intered at the Discretion of my Executors hereafter mentioned and as touching what worldly Estate I have I Dispose of it in manner and form following to Wit.

Imprimis, I give unto my loving wife my best new Feather bed & Furniture belonging to it, as also half of my household Furniture of every kind whatsoever, During her life or Widowhood

Item, I give and bequeath unto my Son John Brewer Five Shillings Sterling Money of Great Britain

Item, I give and bequeath unto my Son Reace Brewer Five Shillings Sterling Money of Great Britain

Item, I give and bequeath to my Son Jacob Brewer Five Shillings Sterling

Item, I give unto my Son Jesse Brewer the sum of Five Shillings Sterling Money of Great Britain

Item, I give unto my Daughter Pacience Five Shillings Sterling Money

Item, I give unto my Daughter Elizabeth the sum of Five Shillings Sterling

Item, I give unto my Daughter Ann the sum of Five Shillings Sterling Money

Item, I give unto my Daughter Frances one Feather bed the Smalest I have by me at this time with two Sheets one Blanket and one Rugg

Item, I give unto my Son Hardy Brewer One Feather bed and Furniture to wit, one rug two Sheets & one Blanket also I give him one half of my household Furniture not as yet Disposed of

Also my and Desire is that if my Son Hardy Shou'd die without marrying, then I desire that what I have herein Given him Shou'd desend to my Son Henry

Item, I give to my Son Henry every part of my Estate which I have Given to my wife after her death or Widowhood and in Case my Son Henry Shou'd die without marrying or Heir then & in Such wise I desire that it my Devote to my Son Hardy

And lastly I do hereby appoint my loving wife & my Son Hardy Brewer Ex'r to this my last will & Testament Hereby Ratifying this & no other to be such.

In Witness whereof I have hereunto Set my hand & Seal this [not dated]

his             
John   J   Brewer
mark            
Signed Sealed publish'd & declared in presence of us
Geo. Little                             
Abram Poter             
              her           
Rebecca  x  Morgan     
             mark                

At a Court held for the County of Southampton the 10th day of Jan'y 1780 This Will was presented in Court by Ann Brewer & Hardy Brewer the Executors thereinnamed & proved by the Oaths of Geo. Little Abram Poter & Rebecca Morgan the Witnesses thereto & Ordered to be Recorded And on the motion of s'd Executors who made oath according to law Certificate is granted them for obtaining a Probat in due form giving Security whereupon &c 
Sam Kello Cl

No comments:

Post a Comment