Isle of Wight County, Virginia


The lands of this county were originally part of one of the original eight shires of the Colony of Virginia. Warrosquyoake Shire, previously known as Warascoyack County, was formed in 1634. The Puritans were the first white settlers there, and they suffered heavy losses during the Great Massacre of 1622. Following the massacre, a fort was built and the Warraskoyak Indians were driven from the area. 

The shire was renamed Isle of Wight County in 1637, and this county would eventually contribute additional land to Brunswick County in 1732, though Brunswick was formed from Prince George County in 1720. Greensville County would be cut from Brunswick in 1780. From Isle of Wight was also formed Southampton County in 1748.

Present day Isle of Wight County is located south of the James River, and its southern boundary is the Blackwater River. A more detailed accounting of this region can be found in an article entitled "A Brief History of Isle of Wight County, Virginia" ➚.



John Brewer (1563-1635)

Citizen and Grocer of London, one of our immigrant ancestors, early settler of Jamestown
Born - abt 1563 in London, Middlesex, England
Married - abt 1599 in Middlesex, England to Mary or Margerty
Died - abt 1635 in Warwick County or Isle of Wight County, Virginia


Written 4 Sep 1631
Proved in London 13 May 1636
(There wasn't yet a probate court in Virginia)

Wife - Mary
Father - Thomas
Brother - Thomas
Children listed - John, Robert, and Margaret
Property mentioned - money, goods, chattel, and land (Stanley Hundred aka Brewer's Borough)

I do will that after my decease my body be buried without any mourning apparel or gowns given to any but those of mine own household.

To my dearly beloved father Thomas Brewer, eight pounds yearly and every year so long as he shall happen to live after my decease (payable quarterly).

I do will and bequeath unto my son, John Brewer, my plantation in Virginia called Stanley Hundred als Bruers Borough only the third part of the profits thereof arising during the life of Mary, my wife, I do give and bequeath unto her, as also the third part of all my goods and chattels, besides which is also due unto her by custom of the city of London.

To my son Roger Brewer and my daughter Margaret Brewer forty pounds apiece, payable at day of marriage or age of one and twenty.

To my brother Thomas Brewer 40 S and to each of his children 10 S in one year after my decease.

The residue to my said three children John, Roger and Margaret, to be equally divided between them, and I make them executors, but as they are now young and not able of themselves to manage and dispose of Brewer Family those things that belong unto them, I do hereby authorize and appoint my dearly beloved wife Mary Brewer and my loving uncle Roger Drake, citizen and cloth maker of London, not only overseers, but also full and absolute guardians unto my said children.

If my son John happen to die before he attain the age of twenty and one years, then my plantation to go to my son Roger and his heirs forever.

And if both of my said sons happen to die before they attain the age of twenty and one years, then my said plantation to descend half to my daughter Margaret and half to my wife.

To each of the said guardians 40 S, to buy each of them a ring for remembrance of me.

     Administration was granted to the widow Mary Brewer als Butler, the testator being said to have lately died in Virginia.

~

Notes concerning John Brewer's land -

Brewer's Borough (Stanley Hundred) was a 1000 acres parcel located on the north side of the James River, close to Jamestown, in the Warwick River region, so I'm not sure why his will was written in Isle of Wight County, which was located on the south side of the James River. He had purchased Stanley Hundred from Captain Thomas Flint, who had obtained it from Governor Yeardley in 1628. The governor originally received it for transporting indentured servants, and a photo of the marker for Stanley Hundred can be found here ➚.

A separate 1000 acre parcel in Isle of Wight County was finally deeded to John shortly after his death, which his widow sought to obtain. She had, by then, married Reverend Thomas Butler, Clarke and Parson of Denbie. I think this plantation is the one that became known as "Brewer's Neck," and that it was located between Brewer's Creek and Chuckatuck Creek. It appears that this is the parcel John received for financing the transportation of himself, his wife, and 18 others from England to Virginia - 50 acres for each of the 20 people, giving him a total of 1000 acres. At any rate, this land was granted to Thomas Butler 11 Jul 1635. Page 406 of Seventeenth Century Isle of Wight ➚ states that "The land was the right of John Brewer esq., "of which 50 acres was due as Brewer's own personal adventure and 50 acres for the adventure of his wife Mary, due said Butler as marrying said relict [another name for widow] Mary Brewer." The Reverend Thomas Butler died in 1637 and his will was probated in London in that same year."


Thomas Butler

Born - about 1561, likely in England
Married - Marie/Mary, widow of John Brewer I (1563-1635)
Died - 1637 in Warwick County or Isle of Wight County, Virginia

Written 20 Nov 1636
Proved 25 Jul 1637 in London
(There wasn't yet a probate court in Virginia)

Abstract:
"THOMAS BUTLER, minister of God's Word. Will 20 November 1636; proved 25 July 1637. Friends Captain Thomas Flint and Mary his wife. Mrs. Mary Barnett wife of Mr. Thomas Barnett. Peter Hull. Legacies to be paid by my executrix in England upon receipt of the first tobaccos out of Virginia. Wife to be executrix of all. Mr. Thomas Barnett and Peter Hull overseers here. Cosen [cousin] Mr. William Broome and friend Mr. Christopher Irons, both living in Gracious Street. Witnesses: Thomas Flint and Thomas Pratt. Goare, 107"

Notes concerning Thomas Butler's friend, Captain Thomas Flint:
Thomas Flint arrived in Virginia in 1618. He was reportedly an easily angered man, who became enraged toward the government. As a result, he was fined and stripped of his rank as lieutenant. He was also accused in 1628 of inappropriate conduct with his step-daughter and temporarily jailed for it. Still a prominent man, he served as Burgess for Denbigh and Stanley Hundred, presumably sometime in the late 1620's or early 1630's. (Source - Virginia Immigrants and Adventurers, 1607-1635, page 304 ➚) Note that Thomas Butler also lived in this area, being the clarke (clerk) and pastor of "Denbie" in 1635. Denbigh was originally named for the Denbigh Plantation, patented by Colonel Samuel Mathews, who arrived in Virginia sometime before 1618.


John Brewer (1600-1669)

Noncupative (verbal) Will
Sworn 9 Jun 1669
Source - Wills and Aministrations of Isle of Wright County, Virginia 1647-1800, Book 1, Page 68 ➚
Full transcription source - Long Line of Brewer, by Ben Brewer, Page 25

Margaret Skyner aged fortie six years or therebouts sworn saith that Mr. John Brewer the deponents brother [brother-in-law?] did say in the time of his sickness whereof he died, that his estate Sonn: John Brewer should have his land att Stanly Hundred to him & his heirs lawfully begotten, but his wife to have one third of it and to his Sonn: Thomas Brewer he gives his land whereon he lived, being two hundred & fifty acres as his part to him and his heirs lawfully begotten, and his wife to have the third of that, and for the rest of personal estate, he left solely to his wife saiing he did not desire the court should take notice either of her good — or bad — of them, but left it fully (?) to her, and what she wished (?) to give them he left it wholy to her, or solelie to her.
Curat, Margarett Skynner
Nono 9 June 1669, Test. Jno Jennings, Cir Cur

James Valentine twentie four years or thereabouts sworn: Saith the very same as Mrs. Margarett Skynner, and this addition, that if either of the Sonns died without heirs lawfully begotten the Survivor to have all the lands or —.
Curat, James X Valentine, his mark
Nono 9 June 1669, Test. John Jennings Clr Cur Recordant 9th June 1669.

By the Govr & Capt General of Virginia
To all to whome these presents you shall come I Sr Wm Berkley Kt Govr: do send greetings in our Lord God Everlasting Jehova Jno Brewer, late of this Colony dec. making an Nuncupative will & leaving an estate in d— good rights and credits — whereof Ann Brewer, relict of the said John Brewer made humble suits to the Cort, that a Commission of Administration Testamento Annexo might be granted unto her of the said estate. Now knowe yea that I the said Sir William Berkeley Kt according to order of the Isle of Wight Cort of the 9th day of June last for the better ordering & serving the said estate do give & grant unto the said Ann Brewer, Commission of Administration Testamento Annexo of all & singular the goods Rights & Credits of the said decedents estate att — Given under my hand this 23rd day of Sept. 1669.
Bond of 100000 tob & cask William Berkeley, Mr Marshall
Mr Ayers & Mr W~


Inventory of Estate
Filed 15 Jun 1669 by his widow, Mrs. Ann Holiday
(Ann had already remarried, to Anthony Holiday)
Source - Seldons of Virginia and Allied Families, Volume 2, Pages 523-524 ➚

Summary -
John's vast estate was valued at 87,621 pounds of tobacco (the main currency in Virginia at that time), including "155 in gold and silver money, and seventy eight ounces of valuable plate."

Notes -
He had inherited Stanley Hundred, a 1000 acres plot, also known as Brewer's Borough, from his father, as specified in the above 1635 will. He had also added another 300 acres to his holdings 18 Mar 1663. Thus, he had a very sizable estate, even only considering his land. I've read that he also inherited the 1000 acres in Isle of Wight County from his mother and his step-father, Thomas Butler, which was deeded to John's father shortly after his death, but I have not found a copy of Thomas Butler's will. I only know that it was probated in London in 1637.



Anthony Crocker

Connection to the Brewer family -
Edeith "Eda" Crocker (1794-1865), born in Hancock County, Georgia and died in Polk County, Missouri, married Jacob Fletcher Brewer (1794-1862/5). Jacob might have been the son of Isaac4 Brewer (Howell Jr3, Howell Sr2, George1). Isaac was born in 1763 in the Creek and Cherokee Nation (later Wilkes County, Georgia).

Edeith Crocker was the daughter of Arthur -> Thomas -> Anthony -> William -> Anthony. Thus, the latter, Anthony Crocker Sr, creator of this last will and testament, was Edeith's great, great, great grandfather. He was also one of her immigrant ancestors.

The transcriber explained that Anthony's will was verbal (nuncupative), given on his deathbed, and written down so that it could be recorded and proved. By law such a will could not include real property, so any land he might have owned is not included. It mentions only personal property. Many thanks to the transcriber for the work itself and for the additional background information!
Transcription Source ➚

Dictated May 1693, Proved 9 Aug 1693
Isle of Wight County Will & Deed Book 2, page 327

Wife - Mary
Children - Robert, William, Mary, Edward
Property - cattle (8), horses (3 mares), bed, and 2 looms

Sometyme in May 1693 Wee the Subscribers being Examined & Sworne Saith that being at ye house of Antho: Croker, he thenc being very Sick, but in pfect Mind and Memory to our Judgemt. desired us to take notice of what he then Said as toward his will.

He gave two head of Cattall apeice to his four Children he had by his wife then living,

and he gave alsoe the foresd. Children, that Robt. Crocker, Wm. Crocker, Mary Crocker, a Mare a peece,

Son Edwd. Crocker he gave his bed he commonly lay'd on,

and further he gave to his Son Robt. Crocker, and Wm. Crocker his two Loomes, & al their appurtenancees, belonging,

And ye Remainder to his Loving Wife Mary Crocker and further saith not.

Augst the 9th 1693 proved in open Court by the Oathes of all ye Subscribers to be ye Verbal Will of Anthony Crocker deced.                                                                                                        
his               
Test Hugh David                                                                                                         Jno JN Newman
Janry 28th 1681                                                                                                                 mark             

his              
Niho N Filberd   
mrke            

his             
Jno E Scruse  
mrke           

Inventory of Estate 9 Dec 1693 
Isle of Wight County Will Book 2, page 329 

To the Worthy Court of ye Isle of White County an Inventory Taken of Mr Antho: Crockers, three beds, two of them are feather beds and one of them is a flock bed and with furniture, and one long table & forme and one small table and forme; & two Chests, and three boxes for linen one Couch, five rush chaires & two wooden Chaires, & two Iron potts the one is five galls. and the other is two, and one brasse kittle about twenty galls and Six pewter dishes, one porenger, one qt. pot, one tumler, two tin pans, one frying pan, one Grid iron, and three guns, and one iron spit and one Sword, and one pre of Small Hillards, one Spinning Wheele and two lines & tack line, four Stears, two of ym. is five years old, and ye other two is two yeares old, and five Cowes about Seaven yeares old, five heifers about three yeares old and two heifers of two - two Mares, one of them is about Six yeares old, and tho'ther is about three, one Cart & Wheeles. December ye 9th 1693.
         her             
Mary M Crocker
        mark           
Mary Crocker presented this Inventory on her oath to ye Isle of Wight Courte
Test: Hugh Davis Cl. Cor.


William Crocker

William was a son of Anthony Crocker, and was also Edeith's great, great grandfather. I would like to extend a huge my appreciation to the transcriber!


Written 24 Dec 1735
Proved 23 May 1737
Isle of Wight County Will Book 5, page 160
Transcription Source - Paul M. Crocker ➚

Wife - Katherine
Children listed - Anthony, Peter, Arthur, William and Eliza
Property mentioned - 200 acres of land, clothes, 5 pewters basins, 4 chairs, a long table, 2 chests, a looking glass (mirror), a pair of pistols and their holsters

In the name of God, Amen, the twenty fourth day of December, in the year of our Lord, one thousand seven hundred and thirty five, I, William Crocker, of the Isle Of Wight County, being in good health of body and perfect mind and memory, thanks being given to God, therefore calling unto mind the mortality of my body and knowing that it is appointed for all men to die, do make and ordain this my last will and testament, that is to say principally and first of all, I give and recomend it to be to the earth to be buried in a Christian like and decent manner, at the discretion of my Executor, nothing doubting but at the General Resurection, to receive again by the mighty power of God and as touching such worldly estate wherewith it has pleased God to bless me in this life, I give and devise and dispose of the same in the following manner and form--

Item 1 - I give and bequeath to Anthony Crocker, my son, one hundred acres of land, more or less, being part of the tract of land wheron I now live being parted by a deep branch on the south side of my manor plantation, all on the south side of the said branch to him and his heirs forever.

Item 2 - I give to my son, Peter Crocker, the remaining part of my land, being the plantation wheron I now dwell, one hundred acres, more or less, to him and his heirs forever.

Item 3 - I give to my son, Arthur Crocker all my wearing clothes, one pewter basin, and one chair.

Item 4 - I give and bequeath to my son, William Crocker, one long table, one pewter basin and one chair.

Item 5 - I give to my son, Anthony Crocker, one chest, one pewter basin and one chair.

Item 6 - I give and bequeath to my daughter, Eliza, one chest, one looking glass and one basin.

Item 7 - I give and bequeath to my son, Peter, one pair of pistols, and holsters, one pewter basin and one chair. All the rest of my personal estate goods and chattels whatsoever, I do give and bequeath to my loving wife, Katherine Crocker, my full and sole Executor of this my last will and testament and I do hearby revoke and make all former wills by me heretofore made. In witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal the day and year above written.
his                            
Willm WC Crocker   {seal}
mark                         
                his
Wit: Jno. JW Wombell
              mark

                 his
          Jno. J Griffin
                mark

               his
        Jos. JW Wombell
              mark

At a court held for the Isle Of Wight Co., May 23, 1737, the last will and testament of William Crocker (Deceased) was presented in court by Katherine Crocker, the executor therein named who made oath thereto being proved by the oaths of all the witnesses thereto is admitted to the court records.
James Baker Clk. court


Edward Crocker

He was a brother of the above mentioned William Crocker. The will of their other brother, Robert Crocker, is given in the Southampton County, Virginia section.


Written 24 Sep 1751, Proved 2 Jul 1752. 
Isle of Wight County Will Book 5, page 442
Transcribed (Thank you!) by Michael Crocker ➚

Wife - not mentioned
Children - William, Martha Hadley, and Thomas
Grandson - Joseph Crocker
Property - 2 plantations (acreage not specified), money, and a heifer calf

In the name of God Amen, I, Edward Crocker, of the Isle Of Wight, Va., being very sick and weak but of perfect mind and memory and calling to mind the mortality of my body and knowing it is appointed for all men once to die, do make and ordain this my last will and testament.

Item  I give and bequeath to my son, William Crocker and his heirs forever the plantation he now lives on and twenty shillings cash.

Item  I give and bequeath to my daughter, Martha Hadley, 5 shillings cash.

Item  I give and bequeath to my grand(son), Joseph Crocker, one heifer calf.

Item  I give and bequeath to my son, Thomas Crocker, the plantation I now live on and all the remaining part of my estate.

I do hereby ordain and appoint my son, Thomas Crocker, whole executor of this my last will and testament revoking all and every other by me formerly made and confirming this and no other to be my last will and testament. In witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and this twenty fourth of September 1751.
his             
                                Edward + Crocker
mark           
signed and sealed in the presence of us
          his
Henry H Mitchell
        mark
Charles Chapman

At a Court held for the Isle Of Wight County July 2d 1752. The last will and testement of Edward Crocker, desceased was presented in Court by Thomas Crocker, the Execurtor therin named who made oath therto and being proved by the oath of Charles Chapman, one of the Witnesses thereto and ordered to be recorded.
   Teste Jas. Baker clk.

No comments:

Post a Comment