Letter from Nancy Lucinda Brewer Lightle, 1886


  • Lightle, Nancy Lucinda Brewer (1848-1925) *daughter of John Wesley Brewer
Nancy Lucinda Brewer was born 20 Nov 1848 in Hopkins County, Kentucky. She married a Union veteran, Henry Lightle, 17 Oct 1865 in Lawrence, Douglas County, Kansas 17 Oct 1865 at the age of 16, shortly after his discharge and while they were on, or preparing for, their move back to Missouri after the war. This is a letter from Nancy 24 Apr 1886 in Belleville, Kansas to her husband, while he was away from home working, possibly in Arkansas.   
Images Source - Ellen Britton
Belleville, Kansas
April 24, 1886
Dear husband I once more seat my self to rite a letter to you in answer to your kind letter which I received to day. Was glad to here from you. We are all well and hope this will reach and find you the same. Well honey we have moved in doctor Taylor’s little white house where Robs… lived last summer. We get it for five dollars a month and Wes gets to work part of it out. Well, well Wes [Henry and Nancy’s son Columbus Wesley Lightle?] is getting more to do than he was a while back. I guess old doctor Taylor will let us have things he has never build yet. Well Henry I don’t want you to sel the cows if there is any chance to get a long without it. I think maby we can get a longe all rite till you come but you must come as soon as you can for the tim seems longe to me. Well Henry I hope you will have good luck with your crop. You must rite & tel me whether you are going to by a pase or not. Tell mother & Angeline I want them to rite for I rote to them last. Well Henry if you and them new how lonsom I was you would rite ever week. I will tel you that when Wesley gets work here to do he gets pretty good wages. Well the mules looks about same as ever. Well, well Wes has got severl little jobs to do next with some single handed and some with the team. Wes could get too jobs of braking prairie [means plowing new land] as soon as it is time, one for Lish Moris and one for old man Goode the butcher. Well Henry if you was here you could get all of the work you could do but you now people are sorty backward about hireing him because he is a … some times. When they do hire him they go back on him. So I will quit for this time. So rite soon. 
From Nancy L. Lightle to Henry Lightle. 
Everything is about the same price it was when you left here. 
Mr. Henry Lightle

No comments:

Post a Comment