Letter from Sarah Malinda Lightle, 1886


  • Lightle, Sarah Malinda (1868-1938) *daughter of Nancy Lucinda Brewer Lightle
Sarah Malinda Lightle was born Dec 1868 in Polk or Stone County, Missouri. She was 17 years old when she wrote this letter to her family, while he was away working. It is interesting to note the evident resentment toward the "darkies" or "niggers" getting most of the "washings", even by a daughter of a Civil War veteran who fought for the Union. 
Image Source - Ellen Britton
Belleville, Kansas
April 24, 1886
From Malinda Lightle 
Dear Paw, I thought I would rite you a little about my self and the times around here. First I will say the people are all enjoying their self. Work has begun now and times are getting better. Work is tolerable plenty but washings are scarce. Well I comence riting this letter last night so now I will finish it up. I haven’t nary a letter from Maggie since you left. I rote a letter to Aunt Tilda but I haven’t got any answer from her yet. Well it has bin raining all day.We had too invitations to a big dinner to day, one over to Parkser and the other down to Harkins. Miss Harkins sent work to maw to come down this morning… tell you that we had a dandy old mess of pyeplant pies at home. Well this is lots of work to do in town and lots of people to do it. The darkies gets nearly all of the washings there are to do. Their too or three laundyes in town, some of them Niger laundryes. Well it has nearly cleared off now and the sun is shining. Well I can tell you we have got more room since we moved in this house. We have got tolerable plenty of room now. I can tell you its offal muddy here now. Well I can’t think of enny thing more at present so good bye from Sarah M. Lightle  
From Sarah M. Lightle  To Henry Lightle

No comments:

Post a Comment