Prince George County, Virginia


Prince George County was formed in 1703, from the portion of Charles City County located on the south side of the James River. Part of Prince George County's original lands, along with parts of Isle of Wight County and Surry County, would later form Brunswick County in 1720. Greensville County would be cut from Brunswick in 1780.

John Lanier Jr (1655-1719)

Father of Sarah Lanier Brewer, might have fought in Bacon's Rebellion
Born 1655 in England (estimated date and place)
Married 1677 in Charles City County, Virginia
Died 1719 in Prince George County, Virginia

Howell Pyrce received a patent of 2350 acres in April of 1657 for transporting 47 persons from England to Virginia, including John Lanier Jr's French Huguenot parents, John Sr and Lucreece. The voyage could have taken place around that time, or even a few years before, as it sometimes look a long time for patents to be received. Some believe that John Jr was with them, as an infant, when they arrived in Virginia.

John Lanier Sr was respected enough in his Charles City County community, south of the James River where the family had settled, to be chosen to go to Governor Berkeley and request that he allow them to defend themselves and their lands against the Indians. The request was denied by the condescending governor, who called the settlers "fools and loggerheads", and so they attacked the Indians on their own. They later chased the governor from the capital and burned Jamestown to the ground in protest. The latter became known as Bacon's Rebellions, named for their leader, Nathaniel Bacon, and took place in 1676.

While both father and son could be considered rebels, John Sr represented the people, and it appears that the younger John Lanier Jr actually fought in the rebellion. About 20 years later, a man by the name of Thomas Matthews allegedly said that during the rebellion John “was too old (being about age 40-50) to camp out at Jordan’s Point, and that was left to the young men”, and that Nathaniel Bacon was not yet 30 and was in command of the group. This was taken from a transcript held at the Library of Congress, written by "TM" Thomas Matthews. If he was, indeed, referring to John Lanier Sr, this would suggest that John Jr was the one who camped with the rebels and took part in the rebellion itself. Without seeing the manuscript, I cannot say for sure to whom Matthew was referring.

At any rate, we know that the family was closely involved with the rebel side of Bacon's Rebellion, even if only by means of John Jr's father trying to negotiate with the governor on the settlers' behalf. Below is a transcription John Jr's will. Remember that Prince George County, in which he lived at the time of the creation of the document, was formed from the above mentioned Charles City County.


Written 5 Jan 1717
Probated 14 Apr 1719
Deed and Will Book 1613-1728, Pg 304
Wife - not mentioned
Children named - Robert, John, Sampson, Sarah, and Nicholas
Grandson named - John (son of Nicholas)
Property listed - land, money, cattle, sheep, a horse, feather bed, bolster, blankets, rugs, small gun, pewter dishes, basin, lockable chest, spoons, iron pot, pot hooks, frying pan, small pair of steelyards, and combs

In The Name of God Amen: I, John Lanier, in the County of Prince George, being very weak and ailing in Body, but in perfect mind and memory, thanks be given unto God, therefore it is appointed for all men once to dye, I do make and ordain this my last will and testament that is to say principally and first of all, I give and bequeath my soul into the hands of God that gave it, and for my body I commend it to the Earth to be buried in a Christian Like and Decent manner, to the Discretion of my Executor, nothing doubting but at the general resurrection, I shall receive the same again, by the mighty power of God, and as touching such Worldly Estate wherewith it hath pleased God to bless me in this life, I give, devise and dispose of the same in the manner and form.

First, I give to my son Robert Lanier, one Shilling.

Secondly, I give to my son John Lanier, one Shilling.

Thirdly, I give to my son Sampson Lanier, one Shilling.

Fourthly, I give to my Daughter, Sarah Brewer one cow or heifer of three years old.

Fifthly, I give to my grandson John Lanier, the son of Nicholas Lanier my son, a feather bed and bolster and blankets and rugs all new and good and a small gun well fixt, and I give to him two pewter dishes and basin and one chest with lock and key and six spoons, one iron pot, and pothooks and frying pan and a small pair of steelyards and two combs and a young horse of three years old, and three sheep.

Lastly, I give to my son Nicholas Lanier, all the land which I now live upon, and all my land on the Otterdams, to him and his heirs forever, and I give to my son Nicholas all my movable and immovable. I do make my son, Nicholas Lanier, my whole and sole Exor. of this my last Will and Testament, to see that it is performed as Witness by hand and seal this the 5th day of January 1717.

Probated April 14, 1719, in Prince George County.

John Lanier (Sealed with red wax)

Witnesses:

               his
William WP Peebles
             marke

Henry Peebles

             his
Thomas X Burrow
           marke

At a Court held at Merchants hope for the County of Prince George on the second Tuesday in April being the fourteenth Day of the said month Anno Dom.1719. The above written Last Will and Testament of John Lanier Dece'd. was Exhibited into Court by Nicholas Lanier his Exectr. who made oath thereto, and it being Duly proved by William Peebles, Henry Peebles and Thomas Burrow, the sevrl. witnesses thereto, is by order of the Court truly Recorded and Certificate is granted the said Nicholas Lanier, for obtaining a probate in due form.
Test Wm.Hamlin Cl Cur.



John Vinson Sr

Sarah Brewer (George2, George1) married a man with the last name of Vincent, sometime before her father's will was written, 16 Aug 1760. I suspect her husband was one of John Vinson Sr's sons, possibly Moses. The surname of this family is spelled in various records as Vinson, Vincent, Vinsent and Vinsant.

There is a land transaction dated 20 Jun 1761 (Brunswick County Deed Book 6, page 683) in which "Moses Vincent and Sarah Vincent, his wife" convey 90 acres on the south side of Fountain Creek. Moses is believed to be the unborn child referred to in John Vinson Sr's will, shown below, to whom he willed land on Fountain Creek. He lived in St. Andrew Parish in Brunswick County, from which parish Meherrin Parish was cut. This family lived in the same area as the Brewers. I am including John's will because of this likely connection.


Written 4 Nov 1727
Proved 9 Jan 1727/1728
Residence - Brunswick County
Recorded - Prince George County

Wife mentioned, not named
Brother - Peter Vinson
Children listed - Thomas, Mary, unborn child
Property - land on the south side of Fountain Creek, money, real and personal estate

Nov'r the 4th 1727 In the name of God Amen, I John Vinson of Brunswick county being very sick and weak but of perfect sence and memory, thanks be given to Almighty God, and knowing that it is appointed for all men to dye, I do make and ordain this my last Will and Testament - in manner and form as followeth:

First I give and bequeath my soul to Almighty God that gave it to me, nothing doubting but I shall receive the same again at the Genrall Resurrection. , I bequeath my body to the Earth to be buried in a Christian manner according to the direction of my executors hereafter named, and touching what small matter it had pleased God to bless me with all in the World, I give and dispose of in manner and form following:

Imprimis, I give and bequeath unto my son Thomas Vinson the plantation where I now live on the South side of Fountain Creek, and all that Tract of Land belonging to the Plantation, and two hundred and fifty acres of the Lower end of my upper Tract of Land joining the Lower Tract,

and the rest of this Upper Tract I give to the Child that my Wife is now big with all if it be a son, and if it be a daughter thin I give that Land to my Daughter Mary.

Item.I give to my son Thomas fifteen pound in money which I have in the House, only my Wife is to have the use of it during her widowhood of her Lifetime,

and all the rest of my Estate both real and personal I desire to be Equally divided between my Wife and Children,

and of this my Last Will and Testament I make and ordain my well beloved Wife and Mr. Thomas Eldridge as Witnesses-my hand and seal this day and year withing written.

John Vinson (Seal) 
Witnesses:
John Bradford
John Rooke
Thomas Avent

Codicil:
Nov the 6th day 1727, I then desire my brother Peter Vinson to be jointly executor with my Wife and Mr. Thomas Eldridge, being of perfect sense and memory thanks be to Almighty God.

Witnesses:
John Bradford
John Rooke
William Wise

Source - Prince George County Record Book 1713-1728, Volume 3, Page 1068

No comments:

Post a Comment