Orange County, North Carolina


Katey Brewer

Several online family trees state that she was born in about 1760, and list her maiden name as Caty Lloyd, her husband as William Newitt Brewer, son of Sackfield Brewer and Martha White, and their children as Candice Caruthers, Charlotte, William Monroe and Mary Polly Brewer. I have not researched this part of the Brewer family, so I can't say if this information is accurate. Therefore, I include these details only as a point of reference.


Written 10 Jul 1800
Proved Feb 1801
Husband - not mentioned
Children named - Candice, Charlotte, William and Polly
Property listed - real and personal (specifics not given)

Orange County Will Book D, Page 30
Image Source - Family Search ➚
In the Name of God Amen. I Katey Brewer of Orange County and State of North Carolina being very sick and weak but of sound mind and memory Blessed be God. do make and ordain this my last will and Testament in manner and form following. To wit -

My Will is that all my Just debts and funeral charges be first paid and as to the worldly Estate that it hath pleased God to bless me with my Will is that the whole of my Estate real and personal be Equally divided at the direction of my Executors between my four children To wit, Candice Charlotte William and Polly to them and their heirs forever. 

Lastly I hereby nominate and appoint my trusty and well beloved friends Samuel Carothers and William Forsythe Executors of this my Last Will and Testament hereby revoking all other Wills as Witness my hand and seal this 10th of July 1800. Sign'd Seal'd published
Declared in presence of
William Strowd                                                          her
James X Floyd                                                  Katey X Brewer    (seal)
Eliza X Floyd                                                            mark

Orange County February Term 1801
The Execution of the forgoing Last Will and Testament of Katey Brewer Dec'd was duly proved in open Court by the oaths of James Floyd & William Strowd subscribing Witnesses and ordered to be recorded at the same time the executors therein named qualified accordingly.


Sackfield Brewer Sr

I'm not sure where Sackfield ties into the George Brewer and Sarah Lanier branch of the family, or for sure if he even does, but his ancestors lived in some of the same areas in Virginia and he was in the same part of North Carolina as some of our main Brewer line by the time of the creation of his will.

He had various slaves, but this was not uncommon among the Brewers of this era. However, I found it especially interesting that he seemed to be partial to Rachel, a Negro "wench", whom he wanted set free upon his death. He even willed her a fair bit of money, specifically $20. In the amendment to this will he also made mention of two Mulatto children that he willed to family members. I can't help but wonder if these were his children by Rachel, but of course this is only a hunch. I don't mean this as an insult to his posterity in any way. Such was common back in the day. I just found it to be fascinating that these things were hinted at in his will. Of course, I may be reading way more into his story than was actually there.

Written 2 Jun 1810
Amended 15 Aug 1811
Proved Aug 1813
Wife - not mentioned
Children listed - Thomas, Sarah Edwards (daughter-in-law?), Ezekiel, Elizabeth, Rebecca Hopson
Grandchildren - Patsey Lindsey, 2 of Sarah's children, Sackfield, Henry, Patsey Brewer, Polly, Mary Meachum
Great grandson - Peter
Possessions - 10 slaves (Rachel to be freed), Mulatto twins, land, money, feather beds, furniture, wagon and gears

Orange County Will Book D, Page 384
Image Source - Family Search ➚
In the name of God Amen. I Sackfield Brewer Sen'r of the County of Orange & State of North Carolina being in tolerable health for my time of life & of sound mind & memory, revoking all former ones, do make constitute & ordain this my last will and testament in manner & form following Viz -

In the first place I allow and grant to my son Thomas Brewer & confirm to him during his natural life, the full use, privilege and benefit of all that part & parcel of my land, which lies on the North side of the watery fork & at his death give & bequeath said tract & parcel of land to my Granddaughter Patsey Lindsey & to the two oldest children of my Granddaughter Sarah Edwards to be equally divided between said Patsey Lindsey and the two oldest children of Sarah Edwards aforesaid the two children together sharing as much as Patsey Lindsey alows

I also grant, loan, & allow to my said son Thomas Brewer the service & use of my Negroes Candis & Aaron (remaining now in my possession during his life as aforesaid & at his death I give and bequeath Negro Candis & her issue to the two oldest children of my Grand daughter Sarah Edwards & Negro boy Aaron to my Grand daughter Patsey Lindsey

Item. I also grant, loan, & allow to my son Ezekial Brewer & confirm to him during his natural life, the full use benefit and privilege of all that part & parcel of my land which lies on the south side of the aforesaid watery fork and after his death I give & bequeath said tract or parcel of Land to my Grandson Sackfield Brewer son of S'd Ezekial

Orange County Will Book D, Page 385
Image Source - Family Search ➚
I also loan & allow to my said son Ezekiel during his life the service and use of my Negro boy Pompey now in my possession then I give and bequeath said Negro Boy Pompey to my Grandson Henry Brewer son of said Ezekiel

And I also give & bequeath to my aforesaid Grandson Sackfield Brewer my Negro Girl Rachel,

And to my Grand daughter Patsey Brewer daughter of said Ezekiel my Negro Girl Nan,

And to my Granddaughter Polly Brewer daughter of said Ezekiel one Feather bed & furniture

& to my son Ezekiel my Waggon & Gears

Item. I give & bequeath to my Daughter Elizabeth Brewer all that track or parcel of Land lying on the west side of Cane Creek belonging to me which adjoins the lands of William Hopson, my Negro Girl Sylvia, Negro boy Charles, & my feather bed & furniture

Item. I give and bequeath to my Grand daughter Mary Meachum my Negro Girl Jinny

& also to my great grandson Peter Brewer son of my Grandson Peter give one hundred dollars to be placed in the hands of Jesse Meachum & by him let out on interest till said infant Peter shall come to full age & then & not till then to receive and have both principal & interest which shall have accrued

Item. I give and bequeath to my Grand daughters Sarah Edwards and Patsey Lindsey fifty Dollars apiece

Item. I give and bequeath twenty dollars to my Negro Wench Rachel & it is my will & pleasure & I do hereby emancipate said Wench Rachel & set her at liberty from the service of any person whatever after my decease

Item I give and bequeath my Negro Gilbert to the next oldest child which shall be living at the time of my Grandson Peter Brewer to his son Peter, who is one of the Legacies herein mentioned

Orange County Will Book D, Page 386
Image Source - Family Search ➚
Item. & lastly I give and bequeath after all my Just debts are paid an equal share to each of my four surviving children Ezekiel & Thomas Brewer, Elizabeth Brewer & Rebecca Hopson, all my money outstanding debts, my still, livestock and other property of whatever kind, to be divided in equal parts or lotts if they can agree on that way among themselves, or otherwise to be disposed of at Public Sale & the proceeds divided as above directed.

& I do hereby constitute and appoint Ezekiel & Thomas Brewer my aforesaid sons & Col' Charles Christmas the executors of this my last will & testament. In witness whereof I have hereunto subscribed my name and annex my seal, this Second day of June A Dom 1810
Test
R Stanford          }                                                                        Sackfield Brewer (Seal)
William Moore   }

Orange County Will Book D, Page 386
Image Source - Family Search ➚
In the name of God Amen I Zackfield Brewer being in a tolerable state of health for my age & infirmities & in sound mind & memory Constitute this a part of any last will & testament as above written which I hereby confirm & continue except the part where I have given one hundred dollars to my Great Grandson Peter Brewer son of my Grandson Peter, which part I hereby revoke so far, & so far only as to reduce the sum of one hundred to fifty dollars, to be managed kept & paid over to him when he come to full age by Jesse Meachum as above directed

& except also the Item that gives my Negro Girl Sook which I hereby entirely revoke, & give said Girl Sook to my daughter Elizabeth Brewer

Also I give and bequeath to my son Thomas Brewer the one of the Mullatto twin children born since my above will was written say the one called Anderson & to my son Ezekiel Brewer the other of said twins, understood to be called Jim

In witness whereof I do hereby subscribe my name and affix my seal this 15th day of August A Dom 1811
Test                                                                                           Zackfield
R Stanford                                                                            his      X        mark (seal)
                                                                                                    Brewer

Orange County August Term 1813
The Execution of the foregoing last will & testament of Zackfield Brewer dec'd was duly proved in open Court by the oaths of Richard Stanford & William Moore. Also the part annexed by Richard Stanford Subscribing Witness thereto & ordered to be recorded at the same time & Tho's Brewer two of the exectuors named in Said Will were qualified
Test'r

No comments:

Post a Comment