Southampton County, Virginia


This county was formed in 1749 from the portion of Isle of Wight County lying west of the Blackwater River. It is now bordered by Surry County, Virginia to the north, Isle of Wight County, Virginia to the northeast, Hertford County, North Carolina to the south, Northampton County, North Carolina to the southwest, and Greensville (formerly Brunswick) County, Virginia to the west. So, as you can see, this county was right in the middle of a region thickly populated with our Brewer ancestors.


Robert Crocker

Robert was a brother of William Crocker, Edeith Crocker Brewer's great, great grandfather. William's will was recorded in Isle of Wight County, Virginia. It is rather interesting that Robert willed so much property to his housekeeper. He was very concerned about the welfare of Mary Hill and her children. I can't help but wonder if he was in love with her on some level (I know, I'm a hopeless romantic), or if he was simply a very kindhearted man, or both.


Written 24 Sep 1750, Proved 8 Nov 1750
Southampton County Will Book 1, page 19
Transcribed by Paul M. Crocker ➚ (Thank you!)

Wife - not mentioned
Children - Benjamin, Moses, Arthur, Elizabeth Jordan, Sarah Braswell, Mary Middleton
Grandson - Elisha Crocker
Housekeeper - Mary Hill
Property - plantation,  cattle, grey colt, horses at Fishing Creek, his riding horse, bridle, saddle, loom, harness, cards, wheel, carved box, cotton spun, spoon, corn, brass kettles, iron pot, 3 feather beds, furniture, 2 rugs, clothes, and stilliards (sometimes called a steelyard or portable scale)

In the name of God, Amen, September 24, 1750, Robert Crocker, of the County of Southhampton in Virginia, Planter, Do ordain this my Last Will and Testament and touching such Worldly Estate as it has pleased God to Bless me in this Life I Dismiss Dispose of the same in the following manner and form.

Imprimis - I give and bequeath unto my well beloved son, Benjamin Crocker, my Brass Kettles & my Stilliards.

Item - I give to my Son Moses Crocker, my Plantation where I now Live and all the land therunto belonging forever.

Item - I give to my grandson Elisha Crocker my Grey Colt.

Item - I give to my Son Arthur Crocker, all my Horse kind that are at Fishing Creek and all of my wearing cloaths and one iron pot.

Item - I give to my Daughter Elizabeth Jordan one Feather Bed and Furniture belonging to the Red Rugg.

Item – I give to my Daughter Sarah Braswell one Feather Bead and all the Furniture there belonging to the Blue Rugg.

Item - I give to my House Keeper Mary Hill, a Feather Bed belonging to the Quilt and all the Furniture thereunto belonging and my Riding Horse, bridle & saddle and Lume & Harness and Cards & Wheel & a Carved Box & all that is in it and the Cotton Spun & one spoon that is in the house and a Heifer and Calf and corn for her and her Children this Year for Bread and my desire is that the said Mary Hill should be Roughted till she can conveniently get away.

Item - I give to my Daughter Mary Middleton one Cow and Calf.

Item - My Will & Desire is that after all my Debts and Legasses is paid, what (is) Left of my Estate to be Equally divided among all my Children & I leave my Son Benjamin Crocker my whole & Sole Executor of this my Last Will & Testament as Witness my Hand and Seal.
his             
                       Robert R Crocker
mark           
Test. Wm. Bynum
John Jones
Alexr. Watson

At a court held for the county of Southhampton on Thursday the 8th of Nov 1750 this will was presented in court by Benjamin Crocker, the executor therein named and proved by the oaths of William Bynum and Alexander Watson, two of the witnesses therto and ordered to be recorded and on the motion of the said Executor who made oath according to law certificate is granted him for obtaining a probate thereof in due force.

No comments:

Post a Comment